Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Let's Do This...

The candidates for this riding are:

Mr. Casey, an Independent

Joel Bernard, who is not from the riding, for the Conservatices

Karen Olsson, a mother, activist and artist from North River, is the candidate for the NDP. Nomination meeting is Thursday night.

Tracy Parsons for the Liberals.

The Greens have chosen not to run a candidate here.

I am currently seeking the Marxist-Leninist Party's nomination to run and I am from the riding, specifically from Lower Truro. My name is Anthony Gracey.

My priorities are First Nations issues, particularly the issues faced by the members of the Mi'kmaq Nation living on the Millbrook reserve in this riding. I want to see the Nation's demands for the Rights to land and self-government in their territory met by the Canadian State.

My other priorities are the issues faced by the working men and women of this riding. 2001 Census statistics report 29, 895 employed individuals in this riding during that year, and 4,940 unemployed. I want to know what the State can do to make their lives better and I suspect resolving (from latest GPI report) equity issues, creating policies that enhance job and income security, easing student debt loads, and strengthening the social safety net would make working peoples lives better.

Another thing I believe the State can do to make the lives of working men and woman in this riding better is invest more time and money into developing public transportation in the riding. Initially I see the major cities and towns in the riding plotted more adequately for bike paths. Truro, for instance, has several major roads that could easily be divided to make biking safer, freeing up more opportunity for workers to get to and from their jobs.

Another area of interest to the working class (and one where I agree with Mr. Casey wholeheartedly) I believe is in desperate need of the Canadian Federal Government's resources and guidance is the management of the Bay of Fundy, both in terms of its dykes and the energy producing potential of it as well. Much renewable energy could be generated from this resource and I believe a a community-based, cooperative-organized, non-profit oriented group should be the one to manage the energy for the benefit of everyone in the community, not NSP.

Contact me at: anthony.gracey@gmail.com

Coverage of daily developments will be posted here. Stay tuned.

CBC is also blogging this election and riding, here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/riding/014/ridingtalk.html?Authorized=1&AuthenticationKey=2_23_9cf42f6f-df3d-45b6-bb83-0377cf8264d8.pakhpijoaaibek

No comments: